History of San Pablo
Clubs In School
History of Central
History Of San Pablo Central School
San Pablo Central School is one of the sixty-four (64) public elementary
schools in San Pablo City under Lakeside District. Originally Escuela Pia
The first formal school was established during the Spanish period. San Pablo Central
School was originally named as “Escuela Pia”. It was built through forced labor
during the administration of Capitan Damaso Alcantara.
Escuela Pia was destroyed by a strong earthquake in 1880. Fray Ramon Caviedos had it
reconstructed in 1895. Only the Illustrados (rich people) were enrolled in the school
which was located on the spot where the present Puericulture Center is built.
The school was under the supervision of Batangas from 1880 to 1885. However, due to
difficulty in communication, it was transferred under the jurisdiction of Laguna.
Don Francisco Sobrevinas from Majayjay, Laguna was the first qualified teacher sent
by the Jesuit to teach in Escuela Pia from 1885 to 1887. Subjects taught were limited
to the teaching of the 3R’s. Religion was given more emphasis.
At the end of the Spanish regime, American soldiers aboard the “S.S. Thomas” served
as teachers. Education was offered to all. A certain Mr. Rockley was assigned
supervisor in Escuela Pia where English language was taught to the natives.
In 1908-1910, during the term of Don Cornelio Alcantara, the present location of San
Pablo Central School was acquired. And, by virtue of the Gasbaldon Act, the first
public school building was constructed. It was named the Thomas Jefferson Building
whish is now known as the Mabini Building (presently occupied by Grade 3). Three
intermediate classes were held while primary classes were left at Escuela Pia.
In 1913, the first 18 graduates of Grade Seven under Mr. Jose Alcantara received
their “Certificos” (Diploma). Among the 18 graduates were Mr. Odon Alanguilan
(father of Mrs. Anita A. Guevarra, former district supervisor of Ambray District),
Mr. Cornelio David and Mr. Juan Duran of Alaminos, Laguna; Mr. Marcial Maghirang,
Mr. Crsipulo Bagsic and Mrs. Flaviana Brion Valdeleon.
Mr. Faustino Ramos Torres, one of the “graduates” was offered a teaching position
at Escuela Pia. He is the father of Mr. Pepito Torres (former Division Social
Studies Supervisor). Mr. Faustino was famously known as “Maestrong Tino”.
In 1914 to 1916, in the early part of the administration of Don Marcial Alimario,
the Domestic Science Building (now the Home Economics Building) was constructed.
It was followed by the construction of the Industrial Arts or Shop Building located
at the back portion of the Quezon Building.
In 1916 to 1918, during the term of Don Feliciano Exconde, the Jefferson Building
and Lincoln Building (now Bonifacio Building) was constructed.
Another batch of grade 7 graduates in 1917 under Mr. Odon Alanguilan from the first
batch of graduates was known as the older generation of most popular names of
educators and individuals of today in San Pablo City. Some of them are: Martin
Celino, the class valedictorian, Ms. Gloria Arcinas, salutatorian, Juana
Gesmundo, Marciano Dumaraos, Lourdes Mariano, Leona Mariano, Domingo Natoza,
Eulogio de Mesa, Emeterio de Mesa, Anacleto Lacsam, Juan del Barrio, Alfredo
Eubinag, Cecilia Reyes, Gregorio Briones and Encarnacion Gesmundo.
In 1918, enrollment increased which prompted the administration to rent other
buildings. Among which were the Mortera Building, the Diawatan Building, the
Catipon Building, the Gesmundo Building and the Escudero building. Dr. Eufronio
Alip graduated first in the class of 1918.
Teachers during the early period were only grade 7 graduates but stories told
that they were as brilliant of today’s great teachers. Among those great teachers
were Mr. Delfin Hernandez, Mr. Arsenio Deangkinay, Mr. Felipe Alcantara, Ms. Gloria
Arcinas and a certain Ms. Bellela.
In 1925, the biggest building of San Pablo Central School which is the Rizal
Building was constructed under Don Zacharias Sahagun. In 1929, during the term
of President Crispin Calabia, the concrete fence facing the Rizal Avenue was
started. In the same year, the monument of the “goddess of Wisdom, Minerva” as
donated by its graduates. In 1931, the concrete gate in Rizal Avenue portion of
the school along with other concrete paths within the school was completed.
The present concrete fence was completed through funds raised by Dr. Leon Castillo
who had the longest term as PTA president. He had a building constructed in memory
of his late parents, the Fule-Castillo Building.
Mabini, Bonifacio and Quezon Building
Between 1935 to 1938, additional lots were purchased. It was also during that
period when the Administration Building (now the Quezon Building) was constructed.
In 1940, the National language was taught as a subject and three academic buildings:
Jefferson, Lincoln and the Admin Building were renamed Mabini, Bonifacio and Quezon
On May 7, 1940, Congressman Tomas Dizon presented a Bill converting San Pablo City
into a chartered city. The bill was amended on March of the following year. Under
Commonwealth Act. No. 520, San Pablo City became a separate division in Laguna.
World War II brought changes in the educational system. A public high school was
opened. The Boys High were housed at the Rizal Building and the Girls High at the
Bonifacio Building. Mr. Mauricio Alip served as the elementary principal while
Ms. Modesta Torres was the high school principal.
During the Japanese regime, in 1944, many buildings and properties were damaged.
All classes were transferred to the Seminario or to the present Liceo de San Pablo.
By virtue of the Rehabilitation Act of 1946, buildings were reconstructed. The
liberation period was highlighted by the construction of Lim Building through funds
raised by Mr. Pablo Ramos, the District Supervisor. However, typhoon “Jean”
destroyed the building. Another 6 room building was constructed by the PTA
with the help of male teachers and janitors.
An octagon rest house was also constructed but it was destroyed and replaced with
Teachers’ Center in 1971 to 1972 during the term of President Lucio Marasigan with
Miss Concepcion D. Licsi as the superintendent. This was made possible through the
help of the city Mayor Cesar P. Dizon.
Upon the assumption of President Ferdinand E. Marcos, the Marcos type building was
constructed. The first 2-3 rooms were allocated to the Central School. These were
temporarily used by the City High School. Later on, the City High School moved to
its present site.
In 1976, A US Bayanihan Building was constructed. It was an innovation of the Marcos
type and was constructed in the old dilapidated PTA building under the
administration of Ms. Sol Alcantara.
With the Proclamation of Martial Law, the Bagong Lipunan type was introduced.
The first of such type was constructed near the Shop Building under Miss Cresenciana
B. de Luna. Two H.E. buildings were also constructed, a one barrio type and another
financed by the local school board.
In 1978, another Bagong Lipunan Building was constructed replacing the 6 room
in Lim Building under the principal Ms. Consolacion D. Alora with Mrs. Anita A.
Guevarra (district supervisor) and Ms. Angelita M. Pulgado as the city school
Additional school buildings were constructed in 1986-1987 thru the leadership
of Mr.Gregorio Cosico-the Principal with Ms.Araceli Brion-District Supervisor.
Another Bagong Lipunan Type was made at the back of Bonifacio Building thru the
effort of Mrs.Nora Baquiran and Ms.Cresenciana B. de Luna,the District Supervisor.